Monday, December 8, 2008

Watching the Wheels Go 'Round and 'Round

December 8, 1980.
I remember that day, lo these 28 years.

I was seven, but goin'-on-8!

School bus #7. I believe Henry was my driver at the time. On the way home after school.
Outside of some classmate's farm and I can't remember him or how to get there...but I remember this moment.


Some DJ on KEEZ FM 99.1 (but we didn't deal in decimals at the time), said confusedly that John Lennon was murdered...details sketchy.

Then the kind DJ played "Watchin' the Wheels Go 'Round and 'Round." John's last single.

As far as I remember.

John really loved to watch'em go.

At that moment, I was no longer on the Merry-Go-Round. I just had to let it go.

This acknowledgement of mortality came at a time when I was not sufficiently equipped and when I wasn't really a Beatles fan. I didn't know from Beatles.

Truth is, when I heard a song, I liked it or didn't. But I will always love and appreciate "Watchin' the Wheels Go 'Round and 'Round." For the moment it is and will ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment